FOR A GED/TASC TRANSCRIPT, PLEASE SEE THE GED/TASC TAB UNDER GENERAL INFORMATION
The TASC test is a state-of-the-art and affordable national high school equivalency assessment, accessible to approximately 40 millions adults in the U.S. who have not graduated from high school or obtained an equivalency diploma.
The Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) is a product of CTB McGraw- Hill. Effective March 2014, the State of West Virginia implemented the TASC test to verify that examinees have knowledge in core content areas equivalent to that of graduating high school students.; The test provides high school equivalency scores and assesses college and career readiness.
TASC test is administered via the computer at the Garnet Career Center.; The TASC test; has five subject areas: Writing, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and Reading.; Test content is aligned to the Common Core State Standards (English/Language Arts and Mathematics), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Curriculum Standards for Social Studies.; It measures examinees’ level of achievement and readiness for college and the workforce as outlined by the Common Core Standards.; The test provides for accommodations and is available in English, Spanish,; large print, Braille and audio versions.
Individuals seeking a West Virginia high school equivalency diploma must attend an Adult Basic Education Center, take and pass a TASC Readiness Test/ Practice test in order to sit for the Official TASC test.; Also, examinees must meet additional TASC testing criteria that will be explained to examinees by an Adult Basic Education instructor or examiner.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the TASC test?
The Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) is a product of CTB McGraw-Hill. Effective March 2014, the State of West Virginia implemented the TASC test to verify that examinees have knowledge in core content areas equivalent to that of graduating high school students.; The test provides high school equivalency scores and assesses college and career readiness.
What are the subtests on the TASC?
- Language Arts, Writing
- Language Arts, Reading
- Social Studies
How much does the TASC cost?
There is no cost to take the test.
Where can I study for the TASC test?
- Garnet Career Center, 422 Dickinson Street, Charleston, WV 25301
- Or visit http://wvde.state.wv.us/abe/TASC_info.html for a site near you.
Who is eligible to take the TASC test?
- Individuals not currently enrolled in high school.
- Individuals who have not graduated from high school.
- All candidates must be at least 16 years of age to be admitted to TASC testing.
- There are specific guidelines for 16, 17, and 18 year-old individuals who wish to test:
- 16, 17, and 18 year-olds who are still enrolled in school may qualify for the TASC Option Pathway Program
- All candidates must pass the TASC Readiness Assessment (TRA) and meet additional testing criteria before they are recommended to sit for the Official TASC test; Your local Adult Basic Education teacher will explain the testing requirements.
Where is the TASC test given?
The TASC test is given at the Garnet Career Center, 422 Dickinson St., Charleston, WV 25301.
Is there a limit to how many times an individual may test?
Yes, three times in one calendar year.
Do individuals who have already passed some of the current GED subtests need to retake them on the TASC?
Not this year (2014).; Individuals are granted a grace period until December 31 of 2014 to complete their assessment using a combination of GED and TASC scores.; However, beginning in 2015, GED scores will no longer be valid in WV.
What if someone fails a subtest on the TASC test?
Up to two retakes on each subtest can be taken at no charge in a calendar year.; The person will need to wait 30 days before retesting.
What is the highest score an individual can earn on each TASC subtest?
The maximum score is 800.
What is the passing score for each of the TASC subtests?
The passing score is 500 on each subtest.
Will the TASC test scores be accepted by colleges or recognized by employers in other states?
The TASC is not a certification.; The WV Department of Education issues a High School Equivalency Diploma based on the TASC score.; It is accepted as any other high school diploma by institutions of higher education.
Does CTB/McGraw-Hill have a free TASC practice test available?
Yes, there are free test item samplers on http://www.tasctest.com/resources.html
What are the test formats and accommodations for WV?
- Three new TASC forms each year, written in both English and Spanish.
- Test formats include: Online and Paper and pencil (accommodation version)
- Accommodations: Paper and pencil, Large print and Braille